Hey guys! Today I’m going to be answering a question that I get a lot: “How do you eat out as a vegan”? For some reason, people have this misconception that if you’re a vegan you can’t eat out at restaurants or fast food chains anymore. However, while some of these places make it difficult to eat their due to their limited options, there are still plenty of ways to enjoy eating out as vegan!
I’m going to share with you exactly what I order at some of these popular fast food chains and restaurants as well as some general tips to keep in mind when eating out.
Subway is my go to fast food when I’m feeling to lazy to cook because not only is it simple and quick, but it’s also healthy. When I eat a subway I order a foot long veggie sub on Italian. (Note that not all Subway breads are vegan.) I get mine toasted, and of course make sure to tell them no cheese! I then add avocado which I believe is the most important part to a delish sub; you won’t even notice the cheese is missing when you add avocado! Next, I top my sub with my favourite veggies; spinach, tomato, onion, and green peppers. Sometimes if I’m feeling it, I’ll add sweet onion sauce, which is 100% vegan! Unfortunately, Subway cookies are not vegan, but if you’re feeling like adding a side you can reach for Original Sun Chips or Classic Lays Chips.
Chipotle is my favourite fast food restaurant in the world, so when I figured out how I could still enjoy my beloved burritos after switching to a vegan diet, I was overjoyed. When I go to chipotle I always get a sofritas burrito because they’re incredibly filling, and the name “sofritas” just refers to tofu! I go for brown rice, black beans, and corn salsa. I also add mild salsa, fajita vegetables, lettuce, and guacamole. (Don’t forget, it’s extra! ;)) The chips at Chipotle are also vegan if you’re feeling extra hungry!
The Works is another favourite of mine, I mean, who doesn’t love a good burger? If you’ve never been to the works, the menu is essentially set up with just a variety of different topping options. You choose your bun and your patty, so for me, I always go with the veggie patty, and then you choose which toppings. They all have super cuter names ranging from Plain Jane to Sk8r Boi. Some of my favourite topping options are the hunka hunka without bacon and the hipster without cheese. And of course I always get a side of fries!
Mmm, I am at Starbucks almost every single day, so I have pretty much nailed their vegan options. My go to morning drink is a black Americano, which is simple and of course, vegan. When I’m feeling fancy I’ll order an iced soy vanilla latte. Starbucks also now has coconut milk, which I’ll also sometimes get in my vanilla latte. Unfortunately, Starbucks doesn’t have many vegan food options, but I do enjoy their oatmeal with dried berries and nuts, as well as the kind bars! Fun Fact: Starbucks mocha sauce is 100% vegan! For more tips on ordering at Starbucks check out this article.
Some More Tips for Ordering Out…
- At breakfast diners I usually custom make my own plate. I’ll ask for hash browns/breakfast potatoes, fresh fruit, and a bagel. If the restaurant has peanut butter for my bagel that’s even better!
- My friends and I love going to sports pubs for nachos and beer. However usually these nachos come loaded with non-vegan friendly toppings. When we go for nachos now, I ask them to substitute the cheese and sour cream for a giant bowl of guacamole.
- Ordering pizza can sometimes be a bust. More and more places are starting to incorporate vegan cheese, which is making it a bit easier! However some of the major chains still haven’t caught on yet. Pizza Hut and Little Ceasers both use vegan dough in their crust, so as long as you ask them to hold the cheese and just load up your pizza with vegetables, you’re good to go!
- My number one tip to making your life easier when ordering out is to research the restaurant ahead of time. Most places have their menus online so you can take a look beforehand and have an idea of what you’re working with so you can be prepared.
- Download VeganXpress. This app is a life saver, especially if you’re new to veganism. It has a menu guide for popular restaurants as well as a beer and alcohol guide. With this app you can quickly pull up all the vegan options at a certain restaurant so it saves you a lot of work!
That’s all for todays post guys, I hope you enjoyed these tips for eating out as a vegan! If you have any more tips feel free to leave them in the comments down below!