I received some very exciting news this week…I’ve been nominated for the Liebster award. This award is extremely special because it’s awarded to travel bloggers, from other travel bloggers. It means that much more coming from my peers!
My fellow travel blogger Sierra over at Take Me With You nominated me for this award. Sierra’s vibrant hair and equally vibrant personality give her travel blog and loud and extremely interesting voice. Her blog is full of amazing travel resources to making your next trip go as smoothly as possible; including a free travel planning workbook!
Sierra prepared the following questions for me and the other nominees to answer, so without further ado…
- Someone hands you a free plane ticket…but you must embark tomorrow to use it! Where do you want to go?
Definitely somewhere warm and tropical; I need to escape this nasty weather! Hmm…let’s go the Maldives!
- What is the most beautiful view you have ever seen while travelling?
This view of Hanauma Bay.
- What is the most frightening thing you’ve ever experienced while travelling?
Having the bartender spike an entire bottle of vodka at a hotel bar in Rome. Luckily I was travelling with a group or the situation could’ve been a lot worse.
- Do you have a favourite city?
Oh goodness, I have a handful of favourite cities haha. My favourite Canadian city is hands down Vancouver; the mountains and the ocean in a big city? Yes please! My favourite American city right now would have to be New York or Boston, but I still haven’t travelled as much of the US as I’d like to. And, my favourite European city (this is the hardest one!) is a three way tie between Berlin, Amsterdam and Paris! I love Berlin and Amsterdam because they’re so alternative and laid back and I mean, who doesn’t love Paris?!
- Did you start travelling solo or with a companion?
My first trip overseas was with my school! After that I did a few Contiki tours which I’ve talked about here, mixed in with a little solo travel. I’m hoping from now on to make more treks completely on my own!
- What’s the craziest goal on your bucket list?
My bucket list is full of crazy ideas but I think the craziest ones are biking Death Road in Bolivia, free diving with sharks in Oahu, and writing a book!
- What’s the number one lesson you’ve learned from travelling?
To be open minded! After travelling I have a hard time seeing how I could’ve ever been so closed minded about cultures or ideas outside of my own. Being open minded has allowed me to be a much better and wiser person and I always be grateful of that.
- How have you changed since becoming a travel blogger?
I definitely take more time to take photos now! I’ve always been horrible at taking photos, I’m too busy looking at what’s in front of me that I forget to capture it with a lens! Which isn’t an entirely bad thing…until you have no photos for a blog post! So now I definitely try to keep in mind to take photos while I’m taking in these sights.
- What is the number one misconception you hear about travel blogging?
That it’s easy and people “get paid to travel the world”. None of these hardworking bloggers are paid to travel the world. They’re paid for the excellent content they produce afterwards, I think that’s very important to keep in mind. I always underestimated the time it took to write articles or even promote on social media until I became a blogger myself; sometimes articles can take me a few days to perfect with research, photos, and hyperlinks!
- What’s one place you’ve never been that you’d like to travel to?
Australia. It’s been planted firmly at the #1 spot on my bucket list forever. I’m dying to visit the entire country from Sydney to Melbourne and even Tasmania! I’m hoping to get the opportunity to do a study abroad in Australia so I can spend a few months there and have enough time to see everything; including all the beautiful friends I have over there!
- And what’s one place that you really want to return to?
Paris! I only got two spend a few days in Paris which is definitely not nearly enough time! I’d love to go back to Paris and rent a cute, little apartment and eat French baguettes under the Eiffel tower…ahh
Now, the way the Liebster award works is, once you’re nominated you have to nominate 11 more bloggers, so here are the 11 incredibly talented bloggers I’d like to nominate:
Maryrose & Reid from WanderlustStyle
Steph from Big World Small Pockets
Matt and Julie from Wandering Sunsets
Marijana from Lady of Awesome
Heather from Ohio Girl Travels
Sarah from Five Foot Traveller
Martha Kay from North Left Coast Blog
Arial at The Wanderlusting Spirit
Pippa from The Brit Packer
Nicole from Eat.Travel.Love
Anne from The Travel Darling
And here are my 11 questions for them:
- Out of all the places you’ve travelled to, could you see yourself moving to any of them?
- Where have you had the best food abroad and what was it?
- Can you speak any other languages? If you do, what are they? If you don’t, which one’s would you like to know?
- What’d the craziest excursion you’ve ever done?
- Are you more of a hotel or hostel person?
- Do you prefer to explore a city early in the morning when it’s quiet or in the evening when it’s alive and bustling?
- What’s your #1 bucket list trip?
- Which season do you prefer to travel in and why?
- What’s your must have item at all times when you’re travelling?
- Has becoming a travel blogger made you approach travelling differently?
- Where did you visit on your first trip abroad?