Chipotle is probably my favouite type of “fast food” ever. I loved it before I went vegan, and I’m so happy that I can still eat there now that I’m vegan! However, eating there all the time does get a little pricey, so I decided to try and replicate that delicious and filling Chipotle taste at home.
I’d like to think I succeeded with this delicious, high protein recipe for either a burrito or burrito bowl! The ingredients are all things you can find in your local supermarket and this recipe is easily customizable to anyone’s tastes.
If you want to know how to make this delicious Mexican dish in time for dinner tonight; keep reading!
Most of these ingredients are optional, or you can substitute them for your favourite ingredients! You just want to make sure you have a base of rice and beans and then add whatever else you’d like. The ingredients below are just what I personally used in my burritos!
- brown rice
- extra firm tofu
- black beans
- whole wheat tortillas
- vegan cheese
- spices such as salt, pepper, and garlic (for tofu)
- First I put my rice cooking in the rice cooker since it usually takes the longest. Just follow the instructions on your rice whether you’re using a rice cooker or cooking it on the stove top.
- Next, if you’re using tofu start cooking it! You can cook your tofu whichever way you prefer. My favourite way to do it is pretty simple. I like to chop it into smaller cubes and sauté it in a frying pan with some coconut oil and season it with some garlic salt and pepper. I cook my tofu until it’s a nice golden brown colour.
- While that’s cooking I like to just heat up my black beans according to the instructions on the can.
- While all that is cooking you can take some time to prep some of your other toppings. I took this time to chop up some spinach and mash some avocado.
- If you’re making a burrito, once the rice is done spoon some onto the middle of your tortilla, being mindful of how much more you’re going to add to it; you want to be able to roll it up!
- Next I spoon a little bit of beans and some of the cooked tofu on top of the rice. Then I’ll add some more fun toppings like spinach, vegan cheese, salsa, and avocado!
- If you’re making a bowl instead of a burrito, which is a lot less messy, just spoon all of your ingredients into a bowl instead of a tortilla! For my bowl I skipped the vegan cheese and topped everything with nutritional yeast to give it a cheesy flavour.
And it’s as simple as that folks! If you try this recipe, let me know down below! I hope you guy are better burrito wrappers than me, haha!